New York, NY
Hadar is seeking a full-time, New York-based, Controller to oversee the management of Hadar’s finances. This person will report into the VP of Institutional Advancement and Finance and have an opportunity to work closely with the organization’s senior leadership. The ideal candidate is experienced in non-profit financial management and is eager to bring new systems and protocols to a growing organization.
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with GAAP standards and internal policies.
- Review journal entries to record activity to the general ledger for completeness and accuracy.
- Establish and maintain internal control and safeguards for receipt of revenue, costs and program budgets, and actual expenditures.
- Prepare timely and accurate analyses and financial reporting.
- Develop, monitor, and improve internal accounting controls.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and financial closing process.
- Manage and reconcile corporate credit card transactions.
- Perform additional duties and special analysis as requested by management.
- Balance pledge receivables and unapplied donations from the donor management database to the general ledger monthly.
- Oversee accounting and reporting and adherence to donor designation.
- Oversee accounting and reporting for foundations and donors.
- Under the direction of the President and VP of Finance and in collaboration with department managers, develop the annual operating budget and provide training on finance and accounting processes as needed.
- Assist the CEO and VP of Finance in the preparation of the annual financial statement by reconciling accounts, posting closing entries and prepare supporting schedules for the audit. Work closely to answer auditor inquiries and requests applicable to job functions.
- Create and implement short and long-term departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Supervise day-to-day payroll and benefits disbursement functions.
- Provide finance and accounting policy orientation to new staff.
- Liaise with third-party benefits administrators as needed.
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- BA/BS in accounting or related finance degree required.
- 5-7 years of successful management and leadership experience in all aspects of non-profit accounting.
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Ability to develop and implement effective accounting policies and procedures.
- Knowledge and passion for maximizing up to date and best in class accounting and financial reporting systems.
- Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting management and budgeting.
- Ability to select, develop, motivate, mentor, and retain high-performing staff.
- Experience working with lay leaders in creating and maintaining healthy lay/professional relationships.
- Experience working closely with multiple stakeholders including donors and volunteers.
- Preferred knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs, and practices.
The Hadar Institute offers its employees a comprehensive benefit package including Medical, Dental and Vision Care Benefits, Life and Long-Term Disability Insurance, Long-Term Care Insurance, Retirement Benefits and much more.
- Paid Holidays, both Jewish and legal
- Paid Personal Time
- Paid Sick Time
- Leaves of Absence
The salary range for this position is $90,000-$100,000.
Hadar strongly encourages applications from individuals with a broad range of identities and backgrounds, including people of color, women, people with disabilities, immigrants, LGBTQIA+ people, and people who come from low income or working class backgrounds.