February 21, 2021
1:30-3:30 PM Eastern
Join us for an afternoon of virtual learning as we explore wisdom on second chances. We will hear from a diverse range of voices, including rabbis, policy experts, and activists who were formerly incarcerated. Students participating in this year’s Maimonides Moot Court Competition on “Ban the Box” are particularly encouraged to attend. Registration is free.
The opportunity to perform teshuvah and move beyond our missteps is foundational to Jewish life. How might Jewish wisdom around second chances, together with hearing the lived experiences of those most affected by the criminal justice system, help inform contemporary ethical challenges? Led my student moderators, together we will explore such questions as:
- Is it ever too late to change?
- What are Jewish perspectives on criminal justice reform?
- What are the challenges of beginning life anew after completing a prison sentence?
- Should colleges require students to disclose on their application forms whether they have a criminal record?
- What policy recommendations offer the most promising solutions to our present-day crises?