March 7-10, 2021
In some ways, the role of rabbis during the pandemic has remained the same, only at a higher pitch: counseling, teaching, leading, nourishing, mourning, and much more; in other ways it has felt disorientingly new-- counseling without physical presence, teaching without eye contact, leading through screens, nourishing from a distance, mourning without seeing. We face the challenge of trying to balance very real human needs, on the one hand, with the imperatives of safety, on the other.
Not surprisingly, many of us have had neither the time nor the emotional space for serious learning, or for the self-care that we all need in order to sustain our energy and creativity.
Hadar’s Virtual Rabbinic Yeshiva Intensive aims to refill our spiritual and intellectual wells. Curated by Rabbi Shai Held and taught by Hadar’s renowned Faculty, RYI offers a remarkable space for rabbis of all backgrounds to come together to learn resonant and relevant Torah in Hadar’s virtual beit midrash.
Far from being a professional skills workshop, RYI enables Rabbis who love to learn Torah but have a thousand daily commitments and responsibilities to engage their passion for Jewish content and conversation.
See our 2021 virtual sample schedule below. Times and classes are subject to change.
“The Hadar Rabbis' Yeshiva Intensive was one of the most rewarding and nourishing professional experiences I have had. Learning with rabbinic colleagues was wonderful, and Hadar's uniquely talented teachers opened up old texts in new ways. I am so grateful I had this opportunity.” “The Rabbinic Seminar was an enlightening experience because it allowed me to share ideas with other rabbis on the deepest levels. It was incredibly fascinating to witness my colleagues processing challenging texts - in the moment. The group was a diverse collection of serious leaders and thinkers. I am deeply grateful for this transformative experience.”
“As a rabbi outside of a major metropolitan area, I struggle to find learning opportunities that will enrich my rabbinate and sustain me in my work. The learning at Hadar was relevant, inspiring and rejuvenating - both personally and professionally. For example, one of our seminars explored how, as rabbis, we must navigate the tensions between Jewish law and our own moral sensibilities. Just one day after returning from the program, I was called into the psychiatric unit of a local hospital. Drawing on my learning at Hadar, I was able to comfort and guide a patient through a profoundly difficult moral decision. In short, the Hadar program helps me be a better rabbi and has provided me with crucial resources in my work.”
“Attending RYI is an investment in your rabbinate, your mind, and your neshamah. RYI is an wonderful vehicle for fulfilling learning and rabbinic growth thanks to the superb teachers and excellent choice of texts to learn. The camaraderie of colleagues who attend is yet another wonderful benefit.”
We recognize that the reality of this moment has made finances a complicated and challenging issue. In light of that, the rate for this program will be on a sliding scale between $36-$360. We ask that you pay what you can but please do not allow finances to keep you away! If you wish to attend and finances are an obstacle, please reach out to Mordy Labaton at [email protected] or Rabbi Shai Held at [email protected].
Is it for me?
- The Intensive is designed for rabbis of all learning backgrounds who are looking to take time from their extremely filled schedules to study Torah with committed and passionate peers. Rabbis from around the country and across the denominational spectrum regularly participate in this program.
I haven’t studied in a Beit Midrash since Rabbinical School! Will I be able to keep up?
- The Intensive is open to rabbis of all learning backgrounds. Our faculty are master pedagogues who aim to make their classes clear and accessible. Materials for most classes will be provided in the original and in translation.
How much does it cost and what is included?
- We recognize that the reality of this moment has made finances a complicated and challenging issue. In light of that, the rate for this program will be on a sliding scale between $36-$360. We ask that you pay what you can but please do not allow finances to keep you away! If you wish to attend and finances are an obstacle, please reach out to Mordy Labaton at [email protected] or Rabbi Shai Held at [email protected].
Are scholarships available?
- We do have limited scholarships available. Please do not allow finances to keep you away! If you wish to attend and finances are an obstacle, please reach out to Rabbi Shai Held at [email protected].
I have more questions. What should I do?
- We’d love to hear from you! Please email us at [email protected]